Other Things That I do

Sunday 2 December 2012

The Gadget Show Winter Expo 2012

Blogging, blogging, blogging...

Wow, these blog posts are really coming thick and fast aren't they? 
Yeah it's a bit slow here. So to kill some time me and some mates decided to go to a Gadget Expo!
Specifically the Gadget show's expo at ExCel centre. 
It was an enjoyable and tiring day out, and it was a convention for technology as well as gaming and other such malarkey. 
I would now like to break down the various things that I saw and demoed there and what I think about them. 
Here we go.
By the way, this is going to be a long one...Just saying.

The Windows Surface


First of all, the Windows Surface. This appears to be the next big thing that Microsoft is pushing, and it is a lovely bit of kit. 
The screen is a good size and the Windows 8 UI is lovely and the sliding actually adds something to the user experience. I can really imagine myself using this thing on the go, maybe watching a quick video on the train or perhaps wasting time all night long. 

But, the problem that I have with it is the lack of anything really solid. As a gamer and an editor, I like my computers to have a certain 'feel' about them. Anyone who has used computers for a long time will probably know what I'm talking about. If not, then I'm just talking out of my arse (no surprise there), but the point that I'm getting at is that I don't see myself needing a tablet for the kind of work that I want to do. Maybe if they make a decent editing platform out of it. Maybe

Next!

The HTC 8S Windows Smartphone

We were looking around at the phones, when suddenly A WILD SPOKESPERSON APPEARS! He was talking to us about the 8S, and he talked about the differences between Apple and HTC, being that iPhones aren't that customisable in terms of UI, I was interested. And yes, the interface is very nice and the Windows 8 style swiping is very nice and sleak and makes my special parts moist. But what really got me was the Beats Audio intergration. There is a mode on the phone where you can summon forth the holy presence of the great Doctor himself, and turns your music into a live performance. The difference is quite staggering. The only question that I should have asked is...why would you ever want it off? Unless it drains the battery significantly, but that's for testers to find out. 
Having had a look at a review of the 8S, it is essentially an affordable smartphone, and I would say that it has my favor more than the iPhone 4 for a potential next phone for me.
If you want a review done by a proper technical person website magazine type thingy, it's here.



And now we move onto the gaming side of things! 

Halo 4

Well, Halo is back and doubtless that any of you who are reading this who are interested at all in Halo 4 have already picked it up, completed it and tea-bagged each other through the eye sockets by now, but this is my first chance to get a hands on with the beast. 
There are a number of changes to the series, and they are welcome. 
There is a 'killstreak-esque' system akin to Call of Duty, where you are rewarded for performing well by getting to choose an ordnance drop, which will most likely be a weapon. But this weapon does not bind to you, and if you are killed the other person may very well take that weapon and shoot you with it. HUMILIATION. There is also now a sprint button, and the weapons have been changed but ultimately they are still the same mash of military metal and alien silliness. 
What I have always liked about Halo as a series is its ability to not be changed by the current trends in gaming; it doesn't take itself too seriously. Or rather, I can never end up taking it too seriously as a game. Whenever I play, it's just to kill some time or at a LAN party when I'm mucking about with my friends, and because of that I don't take it that seriously. 
Also, I must say that trying to play an FPS with a controller after months of exclusively playing PC has ruined any finesse I once had with console shooters. 


Dead Space 3

Now, I enjoy a good bit of horror. I love me some horror movies and if a game can horrify me then I'm all for it. 
Is Dead Space 3 scary? 
No. 
Is it horrifying? 
Not at all. 
Did the spokesperson patronizingly say that it was scary?
Yes. Yes he did. 

I'm sorry, but after seeing countless videos, lets plays, adverts and other things the Dead Space formula just ins't a surprise anymore. The game has no atmosphere and there has been essentially no evolution in terms of the series' themes i.e. "Them bastards be dead, kill dem with a slicey gun"
The only thing that seems to have changed is that the necromorphs are hiding on the ceiling pretending to be space cabbages, and being very obvious targets. 
The camera moves around way too much, highlighting the enemies in the room, as if the game is saying "Here is the enemy, kill him because of reasons". Yeah thanks game, I know how this whole thing works. 
The combat is probably the most interesting part of the demo that I played, mainly because it was hectic and you couldn't turn on a dime like a ballet dancer. It was supposed to invoke a sense of panic and confusion and that was the best part of the section that I played. 
Now, admittedly the guy did say that it was an unfinished build of the game, and some of these issues might be addressed until the game is released, but I can already see the failings of Dead Space from here. The monsters aren't scary, they're just the same as any other generic zombie looking human. But to be fair I was playing this in a cramped and loud exhibition hall, so maybe it requires a change in atmosphere. 
Get it? 
Because it's in space? 

...

Let's move on. 

F1 Race Stars

It's an odd mashup. 
On a basic level, it appears to be an HD Mario Kart, but there are elements which make it seem like a formula 1 game, such as notifications to let you know what type of corner is coming up, pit stops and different kinds of boost surface. 
It's ultimately not something that I am interested in, but it was enjoyable and I wouldn't say no to it at a party. 
The only reason that I am even mentioning this is because I managed to get onto stage and took part in a competition against some other people for prizes. 
Currently on sale on eBay!
Short and to the point, I won. 
The first win was a fluke on my part I will admit, but the second win was a bit more decisive. But hey the runners up got some freebies anyway so it's not a big deal. 
And what did I get for winning? 
NBA2K13 that's what. 
Overall, a nice fun, frantic and kid friendly racing game. 

Onward! 



This free Borderlands 2 Concept Art Book

It was free. 
























And it's nice. 


The WiiU

So here it is, the big one. The one which I was probably subconsciously looking forward to the most. The demo that I got was...disappointing. 
Well, the first game that I got to play was Darksiders II. The graphics looked impressive, about on par with the PS3 and Xbox, and the framerate was more or less solid, and the inventory system with the additional screen was interesting and a great use of the hardware. 
Because I'm used to PC, I found the controller large and somewhat clunky to use but it was comfortable to hold and nothing was too far away. 
But the demo really sold it short, the section that I played was really dull, mostly platforming and I killed one enemy in that time. The spokesperson just looked bored at the whole thing, offering to help once. 
Now that's not the console's fault so I can't actually give it a proper look at or an actual opinion on it because I haven't had enough time with it. But my very very first impressions are actually positive. 
Now, let's look at a first party title rather than a port. 
Epic Mickey 2...it controls horribly...just...awfully. 
I can't stand how floaty the camera feels and the movement is so imprecise, especially when I was trying to jump onto a platform. The aiming was a pain in the arse, and there seemed to be a bit of lag, but it was more like the framerate was really really slow. Like it was playing at 20fps rather than 60 or even 30. But hey, Epic Mickey 2 isn't aimed at me and maybe the target audience can look past these annoyances, the little shits
But ultimately, the WiiU isn't made for me. I doubt that I would ever actually buy one, not unless the hardware becomes infinitely more powerful and gets some genuinely interesting games.

Phew...
Glad that that's over. 
This was fun, and it was a lot of fun going to the convention and getting feel for the entire thing. 
I need to go to more conventions, but that's for another time. 
I need sleep now. 
See you guys later! 
Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment